Preparing For Your Move, Part 1.
Lower the cost and hassle before the movers come using these 5 prep tips:
1. De-Clutter – Clean out your closet and get rid of anything that you don’t need. Consign, donate, give away or have a garage sale to reduce the weight and cost of the move.
2. Pack to Unpack – When boxing up your belongings, start in the kitchen, which typically houses the most items that are not needed immediately. At your new home, unpack your bedroom first, and leave the kitchen for later.
3. Wrap It Up – To save hours worth of unpacking time, don’t empty drawers of small-scale furniture, like end tables or corner desks. Wrap heavy-duty plastic wrap around the piece of furniture, from top-to-bottom and side-to-side to seal the drawers in place and prevent spillage.
4. Zip It – Don’t waste time un-hanging (and re-hanging) closet garments. Group a few hanging clothes together with a zip tie, slide a black garbage bag over them, and make a hole in the top of the bag for hanger hooks.
5. Bag and Tape – If certain furniture pieces require disassembly before moving, keep all of the parts together by placing all bolts, screws and small pieces in a Ziploc bag. Tape the bag with clear packing tape to the bottom of the piece.