Declutter + Discard When you Sell.
Buyers hate cluttered homes, so clear out space to make a listing look its best. Have a yard sale, sell or auction through Craigslist or eBay or by a consignment shop, give away to family, friends, or through freecycle.org, have it hauled away by 1-800-Got-Junk, or donate to a charity.
To make the task of less daunting, follow these steps:
1. Get rid of belongings room-by-room, by making separate piles for trash, donations or to be sold;
2. Empty and organize closets. Spacious closets are plus, but often become a graveyard for things you don’t know what to do with. Store items on hangers and in labeled bins;
3. Clear off kitchen counters and bookcases. Put appliances in cabinets and get rid of books that won’t be reread;
4. Get rid of stuff in the front and back yards. A neat front yard is key to making a good first impression;
5. Get help. Hire a certified professional organizer through the National Association of Professional Organizers at www.napo.net.